Urdu (8686, 9676) AS and A Level
Aims and objectives
Cambridge International A Level Language syllabuses aim to:
• Develop the ability to understand a language from a variety of registers
• Enable students to communicate confidently and clearly in the target language
• Form a sound base of skills, language and attitudes required for further study, work and leisure
• Develop insights into the culture and civilisation of the countries where the language is spoken, including the study of literary texts where appropriate (this does not apply to AS Language qualifications)
• Encourage positive attitudes to language learning and a sympathetic approach to other cultures and civilisations
• Support intellectual and personal development by promoting learning and social skills.
The examinations are designed to assess candidates’ linguistic competence and their knowledge of contemporary society. In the exams, candidates will be expected to:
• Understand and respond to texts written in the target language, drawn from a variety of sources such as magazines, newspapers, reports, books and other forms of extended writing
• Manipulate the target language accurately in spoken and written forms, choosing appropriate examples of lexis and structures
• Select information and present it in the target language
• Organise arguments and ideas logically.
Scheme of Assessment